It’s always a challenge to find the right yoga mat!
Use our 4-step guide to get the right mat match.
In ancient times, traditional yoga (meditative & Hatha) was practiced in India on bare ground/grass or on animal skins. With the westward transmission of yoga, many yogis used towels or cotton mats to help them with the asanas. However, feet tended to skid and hands tended to slip. To prevent the slipping, ‘sticky mats’ (which were essentially carpet underlay cut to towel-like sizes) were first introduced in Germany in the 1980s. In the 1990s, there was a full-blown production underway for these yoga mats. However, they crumbled soon & people yearned for more robust and durable alternatives.
With the passage of time and the modernization of yoga, some forms have become more energetic. Now, whichever form of yoga you choose –there are diverse yoga mats available and befitting your unique body traits.
With so many options to choose from, making a choice becomes very hard. So drill down and focus on your priorities for buying a mat. No matter what style of yoga you practice, there’s a mat out there for you.
Recent trends show that at least 21 million people across the U.S. practice yoga! So if you’re a budding yogi or even looking to replace an old mat, you’re in luck.
4 Things You Should Know Before Buying A Yoga Mat in 2020
- Grip, grip, grip: It’s one of the most crucial things to test when buying a yoga mat. Make sure your hands don’t slip and that the mat doesn’t shift.
- Well padded: A well-padded mat can enable building strength – especially for new yogis. It not only builds muscle strength but also prevents injury. Just watch out for Yoga mats with too much foam which may not be right for your asanas.
- Light & easy: Look for a yoga mat that folds easily and is lightweight so it can be carried around effortlessly.
- Quality above all: Cheap mats are found a dime a dozen. Choose the right Yoga mat that honours your body and is sculpted for the yoga you do. A few extra dollars on a good mat, are truly priceless.
The yoga mat is quintessentially the only tool you need! It can truly make or break a class.
Still, confused on the right mat for you? Here are some top recommendations from yoga teachers on the mats they use & love –
- Yoga mats for beginners: An all-purpose mat for at-home workout routines and simple yoga moves. The 4mm Yoga Mat or the 6mm Yoga Mats are essentials, designed for beginner yogis. With a firm grip, it provides stability for all your asanas. Choose a 4mm for sturdiness and 6mm for extra cushion. The mat is equipped with elastic bands and can be easily rolled up and carried around.
Our recommendation: Healthy Life Cycle makes the perfect mats for beginners
- Kids Yoga Mats: Yoga is fun for all ages. These mats are designed for kids between the ages of 5-8. They are specially crafted with non-slip surfaces so kids can focus and concentrate on the asanas.
Our recommendation: Healthy Life Cycle kid’s mats are ideal and available in an array of colors
- Yoga mats for pros: If you’re a pro yogi and are looking for comfort, density, and durability, a pro mat is a way to go. Designed to last a lifetime, this mat will provide sturdy support to all your asanas.
Our recommendation: A yoga mat which is tried tested and highly reliable is from Healthy Life Cycle.
Yoga is like a spiritual awakening and listening to your body and mind in tandem. Make this spiritual space effortless by choosing the right yoga mat and not wasting time in losing balance or slipping.
Use our guide to find your perfect mat match and enjoy your holistic yoga experience.